Minutes for June 13, 2012, taken by Paul (a few modifications by Roger)
1. Roger facilitated. No stacker or timekeeper needed.
2. Items added to agenda: Occupy Library (Nancy). Statement by Isaac BenEzra.
3. Announcement: Bonnie McCracken will be hosting Grace Ross at this week’s Sunday discussion (3-5 at Amherst Congregational Church.)
(1). End Corporate Rule WG (Roger). Petitions for Public Policy Question. “2012Ballot.org” is the recommended website. A sidebar link (“Know your rights!“) describes your rights - from Common Cause, a statement from the MA Atty Gen. office. This was useful for revealing rights to table in Malls, despite which Roger and Susan were exiled from Trader Joe’s entrance. The Mall office on the other hand offered tables and chairs (given 24 hr notice). Thus there will be petitioning tomorrow 6/14 2-6PM, corridor connecting Best Buy and Target. Enthusiastic responses to petition reported by Don (Leverett) and Jean (Greenfield). Move to Amend has a great deal of popular support. Deadline for petition submission to town clerks: June 30.
(2). Reactivating the local Amherst chapter (“campaign”) of NAACP (in the context of Occupy Amherst Schools (below). Jared reported 34 current members in Amherst (but maybe not local chapter members). Jared will provide info on how to join as local chapter. Fifty local members are needed to recreate the Amherst chapter.
(3). (Jean) #OFranklin Co. proposes a WMAGA in Greenfield, and has sent a draft plan. Susan will be liaison and offer support&encouragement to OFC. Don noted that OWS is suggesting 9/17 (anniversary) activities.
(4) Occupy Amherst Schools (Jean). Attila, Jean, Jared are regular participants. Two meetings were held in June. In the #O model, this group has working groups (e.g. community education, teacher education, rapid response) and is growing. Meetings with schools are less adversarial. What’s needed is Consistent leadership at schools (Superintendents come and go).
(5) Justice for Charles (Jean). June 23, 12-5 PM, massive event in Springfield (GerrishPark). “Juneteenth celebration”. Information: justiceforcharles.org. As a group, #OA will donate $50 (Nancy will check with Kitty).
(6) Upcoming June 16 #OA/SAGE VT Yankee event = Crosswalk community theater in Greenfield. Many evacuees will be on hand. Read about it here.
(7) Isaac BenEzra. Description of his ACTV programming (CATV 12,15,17), and its use in publicity. Isaac hosts a regular show, “Conversations.” He wants us to consider the at-risk Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid in the context of the struggle to get those in place. ACTV can offer cameras and media-production training. Isaac made some inspiring comments about #OA. Don proposed raising $100 to be an organizational member of ACTV.
(8) Occupy Library (Nancy). First meeting Tuesday 2:00 Rao’s or TBA.
(9) An internet poll indicated a good date for next event #OTheCommons looks like Aug. 25. Save the date and notify Paul if you’re planning to be there.
Meeting adjourned 6:50 with pledge to incorporate music soon.