Submitted 3/12/12 by Paul Dubin
(a few notes in italics added by Roger during the posting of these minutes.)Ben proposed to facilitate next week.
Don circulated the agenda, and explained in response to a question how it’s established.
Announcements: (Don suggested that announcements should not become discussions).
1. Bonnie explained that the Obama signs at the “Save our home rally” at B of A were intended to send him a message.
2. Jean described the “99% Spring” training for trainers in nonviolent direct action (Boston 3/24 – 3/25) is part of a massive effort.
3. Gracie announced a talk at Westfield State Univ on “Impact of Tahrir Square” 3/22. More immediately, there will be (was) Susan Wilson speaking for Women’s Day at the Quaker Meeting house March 8.
4. Roger announced that Irwin is now Outreach Committee chair (or “contact person”), and that a VT Yankee Entergy event will occur on 3/19 in Leverett. Walk to Entergy in Brattleboro will be 3/22. (The 3/19 event is detailed here, welcoming walkers who will arrive in Brattleboro on 3/22. More info about 3/22 is on our Calendar.)
5. May Day workshop on training (?)
6. Nancy – Hunger Banquet (as of this writing postponed)
7. Ben announced an event on April 2 at Springfield Court Square (check SAGE website) (Check Arise information here)
Ben distributed a “Process to address mission statement” developed with Don. The proposal to allocate significant time to this during this particular meeting was not supported. (Roger’s recollection is that the GA decided to move this item to the end of the agenda, following the Action Items, allocating time for it if time was available.)
Jared urged clarity on the part of the presenters as to the desired outcome
1. Susan reporting on WMAGA. Publicity done. Flyers posted on website. Ben has sent press releases to his contacts.
2. Listserve ground rules. Concern was expressed about the excess volume, unidentified sources, and lack of respectful tone in a few posts. Suggestions: Don’t “reply all”; Don’t use this to resolve conflicts; Use the subject line. Jared will write a proposal for ground rules.
3. There was discussion about the recent decision for a snow day cancellation of the 2/29 GA. The general sense was that this was an appropriate facilitators’ decision, although we should keep in mind that the intent of Occupy is to train in being democratic together. The conclusion was that the facilitation working group should be empowered to make procedural decisions but not on policy or strategy.
4. Irwin requested that the topic of the “dream leaflet” be tabled because there had not been enough comments. Roger suggested using the web site “Forum” for this.
5. Beth requested sponsoring of a Gene Sharp study/discussion group in part to legitimize library use. There was agreement on the importance of his work on nonviolent protest but there was confusion about the request to sponsor.
6. Town Meeting. In view of lateness, Ben asked to table this.
7. Further discussion of working group proposals came up in the context of the proposal for an Iran-related working group. Some different opinions expressed were: (a) Working group proposals should include a statement about their relationship to #OA. (b) That we broaden our activities by doing things that are unique to #OA (not identical to other active groups). (c) That we should engage in activities to raise awareness of important issues. And (d) that we have not been clear about the roles of working groups.
8. We endorsed a March 15 demonstration against “three strikes” (Gary). See our Calendar for more information.
(Note: comments have been enabled for this post so that readers can respond.)