From comrades at Occupy Hampshire:
Resist Austerity. Rebuild the Economy. Reclaim our Democracy.
This Thursday, Nov. 17th, Occupy Wall Street protesters will attempt to shut down the New York Stock Exchange! They are occupying the subways in solidarity with this INTERNATIONAL movement!
Occupy Hampshire is organizing a day of action, (in conjunction with the 5-colleges), to show our solidarity with OWS!
The preliminary schedule is as follows:
11:00am – STUDENT WALK OUT.
- consider your classes, CANCELLED.
- invite your classes to take part in this walk out, and encourage your PROFESSORS to join us and speak out about the global financial crisis!
11:00am – 12:30pm – TEACH IN ON STUDENT DEBT and the GLOBAL FINANCIAL CRISIS.
- professors and students from the 5-college community will be giving talks on student debt, the global financial crisis, and the prison industrial complex!
12:30pm – 1:20pm – SPEAK OUT/SOAP BOX/PEOPLE’S MIC.
- share your stories! we want to hear about your experiences with financial aid, your hardships since the recession hit, and most importantly YOUR DREAMS AND IDEAS FOR A BETTER TOMORROW!
1:20pm – 1:30pm – BUS TO AMHERST CENTER.
- we will occupy the PVTA bus and travel to Amherst Center, complete with signs and wondrous chanting!
- we will meet up with our comrades from Occupy UMASS Amherst, Students Against Mass Incarceration, Smith College Occupies Wall Street, and Decolonize/Occupy Amherst College for a demonstration in the Amherst Common!
This day of action will conclude with a march to UMASS Amherst, where the legendary Judith Butler will be giving a talk at 4:30pm! It is important to note that Judith Butler has been extremely supportive of the Occupy Movement!
EVERYONE who is interested in building a powerful movement and a force for change IS WELCOME. Can’t wait to see you there to start building this movement!