Minutes of Occupy Amherst – GA – Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The General Assembly held in the lower level of the Bangs Community Center began with a Centering Exercise led by Facilitator Susan Rice at 5 PM, followed by introductions of everyone. Timekeeper: Gracie, Minute Taker: Beth Adams
- 3-29-12 Thursday Hampshire College Occupy will be held at 7 PM (Aislinn and Janna)
- Thursday, 3-29-12 the PVTA will hold a hearing regarding fare increases at Bangs Center 2-4 PM
- Come to/support the 1,000 hoodie march at 10 AM on Saturday, 3-31-12 in Springfield. (Ann)
- The Arise for Social Justice group has organized a rally in Springfield on Monday, April 2 at 12 PM. People will carpool from the First Congregational Church Parking Lot. Meet at 10:45. Depart at 11 AM.
- Working Group to End Corporate Rule organized by Shays II will meet Wednesday in Bangs Center 6:30-8:30. (Roger Conant) – Roger’s note: one meeting Monday 4/2 at 7 at Bangs, the second on Wednesday 4/4 at 34 Pomeroy Lane from 7 to 9. The original info given to us was messed up.
- April 14, 2012 – Noon – Come to Brattleboro Common to hear Bernie Sanders and support the State of Vermont in their attempts to close Vermont Yankee (Jean Sherlock- SAGE Alliance)
- Sunday, April 15, 2012 – OA Discussion on at the Unitarian Church, Amherst
- April 22, 2012 – Drone Protest at Hancock AFB near Syracuse. (Beth Adams)
- April 28 – The Occupy the Common (Jean Sherlock)
- Gene Sharp Study/Discussion Group will start Thursday night 7-8:30 P.M. at the Jones Library. Posters were passed out.
- Decision: Minor changes to the OA poster were approved by the GA. Each person that wants copies will download them (see website sidebar) and arrange for quarter-page copies to be made from the website.
- Decision: Proposal on Changing Facilitation was tabled.
- Decision (by Consensus): following a discussion of a proposal brought by Deborah Levenson that OA define the topic(s) to be discussed at the next
- OA Discussion on Sunday, 4-15-12 at the Unitarian Church in Amherst. OA decided among several suggestions which included short and long-range strategizing, that the primary topic of concern of the GA at this time is racism. (Including responses to the Trayvon Martin murder) and evidence of personal and institutional racism and appropriate action strategies. It was proposed that OA refine the topic further at the GA of 4-4-12. (Deborah Levenson)
- Decision: Following a testimonial and discussion about a racially-motivated incident and response at the Middle School, Occupy Amherst voted unanimously to participate in a school meeting with the mother, who brought her testimony to us by way of Jean Sherlock. Supporters will meet at 7:30 outside the school. The meeting begins at 8 AM.
- Decision: The Bank of America vigil will be changed to Mondays from 4-5 PM in Amherst – All welcome!
- Decision: Passed proposal to add 10 minutes extra to hear and respond to new people in Occupy Amherst.
- Jared will present a proposal regarding reducing the number of GA’s next meeting and submit it by email in the next few days.
- Deborah will write a report about Occupy Amherst activities to be presented on the Latino Radio show, “Tortulia” this week which airs Sundays on WFCR, 88.5 at 8 -10 PM (Rafael) NOTE: Deborah says: “[This item] is not accurate. I said I’d send Rafael a blurb about the April 15 discussion event. btw – I have not yet done so, because I’m not clear who has taken on the job of getting that discussion organized and I don’t want to publicize an event that is not organized. “
- Aislinn and Janna will co-facilitate next week’s GZ: Send all agenda items to them at: Amb10@hampshire.edu or email@example.com
- NEXT GA Wednesday 5-7 PM – The Bangs Center
Beth Adams (413)522-7505